Thursday, May 12, 2011

Dining out without din

We go to a delicious lunch at the Zen where the music is soft, the decor is gentle and we are remembered.  I think there should be special meals for under six and over eighty so we could feel less guilty about leaving the extras.  Not having to plan seems almost as important as not cooking after all these years.  The first cake I baked was eighty years ago when I had learned to sound out words and my mother was called to the store:  I puzzled out the recipe put it together and put the pan into the hot oven.  When mother came back she was horrified but I was neither burnt nor unhappy--trouble was I soon was given kitchen jobs and  am now finding myself rather bored with the whole process.  Tonight I'll have shushi for dinner having lost all hesitance about asking for a box.

5 comments:

Heather Blakey said...

Like you my mother took on cooking early. She said her mother got distracted and burned everything so if she wanted a decent meal she had to cook. Like you she also loved to eat out and in the last year of her life lashed out and had the local Malaysian Restaurant deliver goodies to her.

porchsitter said...

That's a lot of cooking! I'll be looking forward to reading your poems and posts again. What fun we have had together on the Lemurian Road! Such wonderful memories!

Prayers and blessings to you.
Barbara-porchsitter-Believer

Fran said...

http://shewolfsden.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/todays-writing/

Fran said...

http://writersheart.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/lemuria-or-bust/#comment-171

Sunny Dreamer said...

Good for you!